Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Copper Penny Carrot Salad

Hello everyone!

Finally today, we are getting some much needed sun in my part of Canada.
Don't get  me wrong - all of the rain we have been having has been very helpful in keeping our grass green and getting my veg patch to start growing . . . 

BUT...

I am in the mood for sunny warmth and  . . . 

BBQ season!!

(Country Living)

This past weekend we hosted our first family BBQ of the summer. Hubs barbequed a huge hunk of beef and put together a yummy potato salad.  

I was in charge of the colourful veggie side dish.  

Easy.

Well actually - I was in charge of the colourful veggie side dish THAT THE KIDS WOULD EAT!!

Much harder.

Hubby and I are calling this summer "The Vegetable Summer."

This is the year that our 8,7 and 4 year old will be introduced to a variety of new veggies - from the market, from the grocery store and from our garden.  

So far we have successfully introduced asparagus and tomatoes (both cherry and roma).  
Our children prefer their asparagus grilled with salt and pepper and their tomatoes  dipped in ranch dressing or  turned into freshly made salsa.  

So far so good - and it's only June!

Our kids eat carrots.  Raw and cooked.
However, they are NOT good with any kind of salad dressing.  
My end goal for the summer is to get them eating a lettuce salad complete with salad dressing.  

So as a compromise, I made this carrot salad with dressing  so that the kids can eat a veggie they like while being introduced to dressing ( Eww!)

Here is the recipe I made:

Copper Penny Carrot Salad

Ingredients:

3 lbs carrots
 1 tsp salt
1 lg. onion
1 green pepper
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp grainy mustard


1.  Peel carrots and cut off ends.

2. Slice carrots into circular slices  (These circles resemble pennies - hence the name of the salad!)

3. Cook the carrots for approximately 5 minutes in salted boiling water.  


4.  While the carrots are cooking,  cut onion and green pepper into 1/2 inch pieces. 



5.  Make the dressing :  Whisk the soup, sugar, vinegar, mustard and oil together in a bowl.  

6. Pour dressing over carrots, peppers and onions.

7.  Chill and serve.

**This salad is best served a few hours after preparation. **




Mmm...doesn't this look like a delicious BBQ meal??


Interested in any of my other favourite salads?

Click on the titles and you'll be taken to my other delicious salad recipes!





Thanks for coming around for a visit
and
thank-you so much for all of your comments.  

I am excited to read each and every one of them!



Hugs to you and yours!

Bronwyn




8 comments:

  1. I am so happy summer is just about here! Our first BBQ of the summer will be on Sunday. This looks like a great recipe! Pinning from the Love and Cents party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know the sun is shining somewhere, it's wet, windy and grey here in the UK today. Will have to give your salads a try I have a 16 year old who I've tried and tried to get to eat salad and he still won't eat anything but coleslaw. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send some our way please. Dodging these torrential showers is not funny anymore! Thanks for putting some orange sunshine on my pc and I hope that very soon we can get the BBQ out and I can try out your recipe! Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a carrot salad! I am dreaming about a July 4th bbq right now. It's part of what I love about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower via MMM! This salad looks yummy! TFS

    Pam
    @ pjstreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious Bronwyn! I have one child who will eat all kinds of fruits and veggies, and one who is a bit picky, however, my husband is the worst! haha. Have a great week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like an amazing barbecue dinner!!! The carrot salad sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!