Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

"Explorer" Themed Bedroom Inspiration


After finally completing my daughter's  bedroom transformation, my oldest son Bryn quietly requested that we work on his bedroom next.  

Right now, his room looks any boy's room - tons of LEGO, books all over the floor, posters above his bed and tons of stuff pinned to his bulletin board.  

Currently, Bryn is enamoured with the earth and sky and everything geographic in between. He constantly has questions about population, rivers, capital cities and continents.
He's already chosen a bucket list of cities and countries he hopes to visit ASAP (Brazil, India, Mexico City, Paris & Australia).

So when I asked him if he wanted a "World Explorer" theme for his new bedroom, he was thrilled!

I've gathered up some inspiring pictures that will hopefully aid in this makeover. 

First - a few items that we already have and I will use as the basis of my 'design.'

1.  Red bunkbeds
(I bought and painted these 5 years ago when we moved into our current home.  It took FOREVER to paint them, and I am not ready to change them yet!

veryrosenberry.com


 2. A blue Hemnes dresser from IKEA.
(Another 5-year-old piece, but it's sturdy and still looks new, so we're keeping it!)
ikea.com


3.  Tan and black map fabric. 
(Bryn helped me pick this out. I was pretty proud of his choice.  Pretty elegant and classy for an 8 year old!)

fabric.com


Now for the "new" elements

1. Union Jack Pillow
Bryn likes the lines on the Union Jack flag.  At first he wanted real  flag to hang above his bed. I convinced him a pillow would be best. : )
wanelo.com

2. Map on the wall
3. Tan coloured walls
4. Cozy blanket for over the foot of the bed.

newlywoodwards.com

5.  Signal flags 
(Like the ones he'd seen recently in a Pirate movie.)
thelilypadcottage.com

6. Map art 
(and words to live by!)
fleamarkettrixie.com

7. Button Art 
(But in the shape of Canada, please!)

jillian audrey designs

8. Flag Pennants
(He requested every country in the world.  I'll make 10!)
themerooms.blogspot.com


9. Graphic Word Art
(He'll choose the cities, I'll make the sign.)
posterrevolution.com

I definitely think we have come up with enough projects for this makeover.  I've begun with some sewing and I'll share Bryn's new window-coverings later in the week.  

Oh! And I haven't even begun to share the changes we have made in the last week on our whole main floor!! We had guests for dinner last night and they couldn't believe how different everything looked.  I'll take some pictures and share ASAP.

Here's to  a wonderful week!

Bronwyn


5 comments:

  1. OOOOHHHH such fabulous inspiration pieces and ideas!! Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a world traveler on your hands. This is going to be a fantastic room. Can't wait to see the finished room and the changes you made downstairs too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, love all the elements. The fabric is gorgeous. Your little guy has great taste. We actually had those Land of Nod Pennants in our son's room. Can't wait to see how the bedroom comes out. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great redo! We LOVE to TRAVEL!! Your son is LUCKY to have such a talented Mom!!! Shirley, Pitt Meadows, B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous ideas!!! So creative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!