Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Camden's Choice - An Afghan

Happy Monday my friends.  I hope you had a wonderful weekend. We sure kept busy!!

Saturday we walked/ran in the Spring Sprint for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada. Our team raised nearly $2700 contributing to the
 $62 000 that was raised that day by many, many spirited "Tumour Teams."

Sunday we took advantage of the beautiful weather and gardened! We planted trees, dug a new plot and planned our veggie garden.  All the while the kids frolicked on the swings and on the grass enjoying every drop of sunshine.

I didn't do much crocheting this weekend, but I'd like to show you a project I finished a few weeks back.  

Remember this afghan?  I shared about it HERE when I finished it shortly after Christmas.  



I has already become a fixture in our home, taking pride of place across the loveseat in our family room.  It is a favourite cuddle-up item for each member of our family, but 4-year-old Camden has a special affection for it.  In fact, he has a love for all things knit and crocheted.  He's always wrapped in a blanket, regardless of the weather.  He wears handknit sweaters to kindergarten on a regular basis -- he says he feels like he is wearing an afghan without the possibility of tripping on one! And through much discussion with his teacher, we have figured out the best way to deal with a misbehaving Camden is to time him out, wrap him in blanket and let him chill out in the corner of the classroom until he can handle himself better. And it works!


Within days of this blanket being completed, Camden had claimed the rainbow granny as his own.  He dragged it around the house and wanted to take it to bed with him.  

No way little dude!!  I spent 2 months crocheting row after row so that the whole family could enjoy it.  
Boy was he mad!!

So we came up with a compromise. It was a simple one.  I'd take him to Michaels and he would choose his own yarn and I'd make him his own afghan.  One that was truly HIS!

That worked for him!!
And what did he choose?



Not bad colour choices, huh?  The medium blue and turquoise are fairly similar but I figured I could work with that.  
Yellow is Camden's favourite colour so I knew that would be involved.  But I amazed that he chose colours all in the same intensity and depth.

Pretty amazing, eh??



I used THIS PATTERN  from Little Tin Bird.
Each square worked up quickly and easily.


I crocheted the squares together in single crochet using the turquoise Camden chose.



The final verdict??

Camden ADORES it.  It travels up and down the stairs 87 times a day and he never fails to have a nap without it.  He's asked to take it to school several times, but we remind him that he already has  a afghan  at school made by Nana. 


Here's the full shot:



I am so pleased with how this turned out.  And mostly I am so proud of myself.  I have made 2 full-sized afghans in the space of 4 months.  Normally I get started on them with high hopes to make something big and beautiful and then it fizzles out into a small baby sized coverlet.  Not this time though.  I stuck with it and I am so glad I did!!

I've already moved onto another blanket using up leftovers in all of my favourite colours, edged in a crisp white.  
It will be a few months before I can show you that one though.  Not as much crochet time now that we are spending so much time outside!

Have a wonderful week!

Bronwyn


8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful afghan, both of them. You are so talented. I cannot knit or crochet a stitch. I even failed with my nifty knitter. Camden would not be very happy at my house. He is adorable. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love the colors!!! You are amazing to have made those two blankets so fast... so impressed :o) Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays! Emily @ Nap-Time Creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful such vibrant colours. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful projects! The blues are absolutely gorgeous!Little boy with sweet smile :)
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations... you are being featured this weekend.. head over and check it out... would love if you added my featured button to this post :o) http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/05/ideas-for-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks absolutely beautiful, your color choices are spot on! stonehouseworkshop.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!