Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Son is a Brain Tumour Survivour - A Message From Him

For a change today, I am using the words of my 8-year-old son.   He has lived only a short time, but has  a colourful (and sometimes scary!)  life story to tell already.

Here it is in his own words:

Hello. My name is Bryn. I am 8 years and I love LEGO. When I was six years old, some doctors found a sickness in my head. It was a brain tumour the size of a big orange. It was stuck in between my brain and my cerebellum and it was crushing both of them. So, that same day I had a 7 hour operation to take the bad lump out.

 It took a long time for me to get better after the surgery. I stayed in the hospital for lots of days then stayed home from school for 2 months. I needed a lot of therapy to help learn to use my “new“ brain. I had to practise going up and down stairs and walking on a line. My mommy made me take lots of naps and we had SO many visits to the hospital to see lots of different doctors.

 I feel much better now and I am excellent on my bike! I am still a bit sad because the tumour made me blind in my left eye. Also, my hands don't work very well and I have trouble printing, cutting and drawing. The doctors can't fix this now, but hopefully someday they can. 

Many kids get brain tumours and things don't turn out so well for them. I have met lots of other brain tumour kids who can't walk or speak or have cancer. I am lucky that I can run and walk so my family and I are walking in the “Spring Sprint” for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada. TEAM BRYN has raised thousands of dollars in other years and we want to do it again this year. 




Here is Mommy and I at our first Spring Sprint in June of 2011, 3 1/2 months after my surgery.


We raised over $1000  that year.

In 2012 we raised over $1500!!


This year I am hoping for $2000 to help brain 
tumour patients and their families.  

PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO DONATE!!




(Mommy and I baked these for a bake sale at her school.  The nice teachers she works with said my baking was delicious and gave us lots of donations!)


Thank-you so much for you donation!

Love and hugs!

 From
Bryn and Bronwyn



5 comments:

  1. What a moving story Bronwyn! What a strong, brace boy you have! This really touched my heart because I had a 16 year old cousin who died of a brain tumour in 2004. And 3 years later, his mother {my aunt} died of lung cancer. Now my uncle is all alone. So I am SO very happy that your family had a much better outcome and Bryn will be able to grow up, and a family that will love and support him no matter what he faces! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your fund raising sprint Bryn. I'm so glad you made a good recovery and I'm sure your hands will work better in time. Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious little boy! I have an 8 year old little boy so you know I was crying my eyes out reading your babies words. He is truly amazing. I know you feel very blessed and thankful. Makes me want to go hug my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me goosepimples, such a moving story. I'm so pleased for all of you that he is still here to tell that story. Keep up the great work Bryn, you are a superstar :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a time you have all had. I'm so glad Bryn has made such a good recovery and that you all had each other to support one another. Good for you for doing the walk Spring Sprint every year and raising so much money. Both my parents and one of my sisters are cancer survivors so my parents do the Relay for Life every year. Thank Bryn for sharing his story with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!