Hi all! Though I am longing for spring, winter is still rearing its head here in my little part of Canada. However, yesterday we took advantage of the slightly warmer temperatures and headed out to a conservation area not far from our home. We live on an escarpment so much of the area is rocky and hilly.However, the place we visited has tons of huge crevices in these rocks. Cool to look at, and exciting to crawl into !!
The kids (and hubby!) were nervous at first, but in the end, they were very glad to have gone on this "adventure." We climbed down snow-covered ladders, jumped over cracks and the kids threw snowballs into the rushing rivers. So much fun - and the perfect way to spend a lovely winter day.
After returning home, I let my daughter choose any recipe out of my favourite cookie cookbook she wanted.
Her choice - Chocolate Chip Orange Shortbread.
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1 3/4 all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
1/2 chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
1. Blend sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
2. Stir in orange peel.
3. Add in flour and cornstarch; mix well.
4. Stir in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
5. Divide dough into 4 evenly-sized balls. Spread each ball out on cookie using fingers or a rolling pin.
6. Bake 375 degrees for 16 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
7. As soon as they are removed from the oven, cut the circular cookie into slices (like you would a pie!) using a knife or pizza cutter.
8. Once the wedges are cool, melt the chocolate and shortening together and dip the wide edges of the cookies into the chocolate. Let the chocolate set and ENJOY!!
Wishing you a warm and cozy last few days of February.
Bring on March - BRING ON SPRING!!