Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pastel Patchwork


Before I begin this post I must warn you --  I am by no means a quilting expert.  In fact, I am a beginner.  
This particular project was begun years ago, long before I cared about straight seams and matching edges.  So needless to say, this project is far from perfect. 

But I still think it's lovely.  
I love the colours.
I adore the mix of prints.
And I am sure, one day, a baby will smile at its softness and the coziness it gives.


I cut and patched these 2inch squares together nearly 10 years ago- before I had any children and we were  living in our first home, just months after getting married.  
The patchwork quilt top was never finished - it was put away with all the other half-finished projects and forgotten.

Forgotten for years.  In that time I had 3 children, moved 3 times and changed jobs twice.  
But a few weeks ago, I came across the leftover squares and  the small quilt-top.  And I got to work right away.  

I added a few more rows of patchwork and sewed on a plain white outer border to add width and length.


I sandwiched it with a warm, thick batting and the cutest purple and white polka-dot fabric.  After several rows of machine quilting, I hand-stitched a lovely pink gingham edging.  

And now, after years of collecting dust in the craft area of my home, it is done. And I love it.

In the last few weeks, 9 friends and relatives have announced they are expecting and due in the spring.  I am sure this little bit of home-made love will end up with one of these new little ones.  I wonder how many little girls are on the horizon??


I guess i should get busy.  I have plenty of opportunity to make a few more of these crazy, mixed up pastel quilts.  
I may even make a few without pink, just in case some of these babes turn out to be boys!!  :)

But....


I do really like it in my living room.  

Hmmmm......I guess we'll just wait and see....



4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I wouldn't blame you for keeping it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous and your first should definitely stay with you and hand down to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Great job! New follower here. I would love for you to come share at my Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-7.html

    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable!!!I love the colors and fabrics! Thanks so much for sharing! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!