Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

We Built a Desk for $60!!

Ooh! Yuck! What a weekend !  I don't think it stopped raining for longer than 33 seconds at a time in the last few days.  They say its the remmants of Hurricane Sandy whirling in and that she should be arriving full-force by Hallowe'en night.  Lovely.  We've already warned the kids that we may be throwing our own indoor Hallowe'en party if the bad weather keeps up.  My oldest looked a bit bummed upon hearing the news, but the other 2 were cool with it - as long as they still get to wear their costumes at home!!'

Speaking of my youngest - he is LOVING school!  In fact, if asked, he usually says kindergarten is "SUPER- AWESOME!!"
He's not much of a printer or reader, but he is becoming very excited about recognizing letter and number symbols and likes to do "pencil homework" with his older siblings.  On Friday he came home with this math activity - featuring the numbers 1-5.  He was so excited to show us how he had traced each digit and stamped the correct number of Hallowe'en stamps in each row.  
I was so proud. 
But where did my baby go?  He's a real big-boy now.  How the time really does fly......

We've been finishing our basement into a play/TV/work space for a few months now.  The walls and carpet are in and most of the furniture has been purchased and plopped in, too.  The last piece we needed was a desk that would span the length of one wall maximizing work/art/computer space for the whole family.  Unable to find something BIG and CHEAP, hubby and I put our heads together and came up with this.......




I found these small cabinets for $40 at a ReStore. The were plain and white and the perfect depth and height for what we were looking for.   Because I bought both she gave them  to me for $30.  Score!!


For the desk top, we needed a surface 20" deep and 85" long.  To create this, we put together two 10-inch wide pine boards ($10).  Dear hubby rounded one corner for looks and safety and I stained them a medium walnut colour ($5).


To fasten the boards to our cabinets, hubby used a variety of L-brackets ($5) that he attached to the underside, out of sight.
And here it is in place - a desk with the perfect length and height!!


Now you know there was no way I was sticking with those ugly plastic knobs!!  After a quick jaunt to the Home Depot I was the proud owner of 5 new brushed-nickel drawer pulls (5 @ $3 each).
I really like how they look like they have exposed screws, but really they are stamped into the metal.  


And here they are - the perfect jewellery for our plain white cabinets!!



TA-DA!!
Here she is, finished and in use!
(Sorry about the lighting in these pics - our potlights aren't all in yet so lighting is scarce down here!)


My woven stacking baskets were a steal from Goodwill! (Anyone else reading their Christmas magazines already??)


Mason jars for everything!!  


This lamp was a Goodwill prize too.  Well it was until I plugged it in and it didn't work!! Oh well.  It still looked good in the pictures!!


And here is where I edit all of my pictures - with the three kids usually watching a movie or playing LEGO nearby.  
Really, this room (and this desk) were the perfect investment in our home!


Thanks for coming by!  I'd love for you to leave a comment - and please, BECOME A FOLLOWER!!


13 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I love how you rounded the corner and stained the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh this weather! It's not great for outdoor activities at all. Awesome new desk!! and a sweet deal you found at the ReStore. I must visit one soon. I Love those stacking baskets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bronwyn that is fabulous! You really are "CREATIVE ME"!!! :) Great Job by you & Hubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I did something similar in college with a door and cinder blocks. Needless to say, yours looks a lot better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness your desk looks amazing! You and your husband are really talented. It really did turn out looking great and I love how you have it decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Bronwyn! What a beautiful spot for you! You put it together perfectly and I love how you changed out the hardware! Brilliant! You have it looking so pretty! Happy Halloween! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Nice job!
    Would love if you stopped by my party to link this up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com/2012/10/creative-inspirations-linky-party_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm so impressed! You did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-21.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome desk! Great job. Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your desk! That is great that your little on loves school! Thanks for joining HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. little one....I need to slow down typing!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!