Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Turquoise Stenciled Walls in the Kids' Bathroom

Hi all.  Just a quick post at the end of a very relaxing weekend. Hubby , the kids and I hung out home all weekend - no big events, just lots of family time inside and out.  

I tried to finish a few jobs around the house and got caught up with some projects that have been half-done for ages.  

One particular thing checked off my "finish" list was....


Four years ago I decorated the kids bathroom in the bright shades of turquoise and orange.  I has seen this colour combo in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens and knew the pairing would be perfect for a light-hearted kids bathroom.  

I painted the walls turquoise and added several orange accessories.
As the years have  passed, the room had started to look ragged- the paint is scratched, the towels are stained and the rug has lost its bright colour.  


So after 4 years, orange is on its way out!  Time for a "freshen up" and the introduction of a new accent colour.....


Instead of re-painting the whole room, I touched up the aqua paint in several places.  Then using a stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils, I began to add a little interest to the plain, painted walls.  


I chose a darker turquoise as the stencil colour. I figured it would add detail without overkill.  
It took a few minutes to position the stencil  at the correct angle, but once I had taped it in place, the paint rolled on smoothly and easily.  


After about 2 hours, I had 1/2 of the wall covered in this "Cathedral Window" pattern.  


Then I hit the wall.  Throughout the process I had been stenciling across and up the wall at the same time.  Then all of a sudden, my stencil wouldn't match up.  The pattern wouldn't fit together horizontally AND vertically.  
What had I done?  How could it go so well for so long and then all of a sudden fall apart?? 

I quickly realized that all I could do was  roll some of the base colour over the messed-up area and try again. 

(This was very hard to do after all of my hard work, but luckily it all came together the second time around...)

After 2 more hours, the wall was done!!
One wall - quite enough to stencil, let me tell you!


Hubby then hung the newly re-furbished towel rack on the freshly painted walls and the room was another step closer to completion!!

I bought this hanging rack at a discount decor shop.
I love the glass pulls and the distressed finish.
I added some wooden letters to personalize it for my three kids, A, B & C.


TA-DA!! 
There we go- a cool pattern on the wall and the introduction of an new accent colour.  



I have a few other projects up my sleeve that will add ever more red to this particular room. I can see sewing, hand-painting and new accessories in the near future.  I can't wait to show you the rest as it all comes together.....

Thanks for popping by. Please leave a comment and BECOME A FOLLOWER!  My goal is to have 250 by Christmas!!










12 comments:

  1. great job on the stensiling. What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Bronwyn! I love seeing all the projects that people create with Cutting Edge Stencils. One wall makes a big impact!

    Glad you had a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stenciled wall! It looks fabulous and the entire bathroom is so fun with all your color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you redecorated the kids bathroom especially the turquoise stenciled wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that looks so great! Make me want to try it at my place :) Awesome job Ms. B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you now. Thought I was??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this story!!! I am featuring you on my FB tonight and I am your newest follower!
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Texas-Girls/140299076008437

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with this! I can tell it's a labor of love! You stuck with it and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these two colors together! Inspired to do something about the builder's favorite white in some of my bathrooms :)

    xoxo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your bathroom! You did an amazing job:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I have always wanted to try a stencil! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am totally jealous of your stencil! Great bathroom makeover. Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!