Hi all. Just a quick post at the end of a very relaxing weekend. Hubby , the kids and I hung out home all weekend - no big events, just lots of family time inside and out.
I tried to finish a few jobs around the house and got caught up with some projects that have been half-done for ages.
One particular thing checked off my "finish" list was....
Four years ago I decorated the kids bathroom in the bright shades of turquoise and orange. I has seen this colour combo in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens and knew the pairing would be perfect for a light-hearted kids bathroom.
I painted the walls turquoise and added several orange accessories.
As the years have passed, the room had started to look ragged- the paint is scratched, the towels are stained and the rug has lost its bright colour.
So after 4 years, orange is on its way out! Time for a "freshen up" and the introduction of a new accent colour.....
Instead of re-painting the whole room, I touched up the aqua paint in several places. Then using a stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils, I began to add a little interest to the plain, painted walls.
I chose a darker turquoise as the stencil colour. I figured it would add detail without overkill.
It took a few minutes to position the stencil at the correct angle, but once I had taped it in place, the paint rolled on smoothly and easily.
After about 2 hours, I had 1/2 of the wall covered in this "Cathedral Window" pattern.
Then I hit the wall. Throughout the process I had been stenciling across and up the wall at the same time. Then all of a sudden, my stencil wouldn't match up. The pattern wouldn't fit together horizontally AND vertically.
What had I done? How could it go so well for so long and then all of a sudden fall apart??
I quickly realized that all I could do was roll some of the base colour over the messed-up area and try again.
(This was very hard to do after all of my hard work, but luckily it all came together the second time around...)
After 2 more hours, the wall was done!!
One wall - quite enough to stencil, let me tell you!
Hubby then hung the newly re-furbished towel rack on the freshly painted walls and the room was another step closer to completion!!
|I bought this hanging rack at a discount decor shop. |
I love the glass pulls and the distressed finish.
I added some wooden letters to personalize it for my three kids, A, B & C.
There we go- a cool pattern on the wall and the introduction of an new accent colour.
I have a few other projects up my sleeve that will add ever more red to this particular room. I can see sewing, hand-painting and new accessories in the near future. I can't wait to show you the rest as it all comes together.....
Thanks for popping by. Please leave a comment and BECOME A FOLLOWER! My goal is to have 250 by Christmas!!