Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Freshening Up the Porch

Okay.  I'll be honest.  My front porch was looking mighty rough.  The spring pansies had seen their day, there were leaves gathering in piles in all of the nooks and crannies and there was a dusty film on everything.  Ugh.  Talk about un-loved and under-used!!

(Even my youngest son looks unhappy there!)


I knew the porch needed a makeover but I didn't want to spend ANY $$$$ - and I wanted it done fast! That meant shopping the house for decor and using fabrics that I already had.  

And the colour scheme? Taken directly from our front door colour.  I had painted it this lovely Midnight Blue colour at the end of last summer and I knew I had lots of items that could go easily with it.  

First, the doormat got a sweeping and rinsing.  Clean and fresh again.  


I pulled this blue, green and turquoise fabric out of my stash and whipped-up a couple of pillows in no time.  
Ah yes! The colour-story grows...
 One pillow went on the Muskoka chair, along with a lime green-patterned one I had lying around....


.....and the other landed on the cute little rocker I bought last summer at a yard sale for  next-to-nothing.

To add a bit more colourful zing to each chair I used some turquoise napkins as seat covers.  A little stick-tack holds them in place!!


Now on the tray table in the middle?  A blue serving tray and a divided wooden box that has been in every room in our home but makes its first appearance on the porch!


In it went a tall glass jar full of daisies. 


Well -FAKE daisies, but they are just as pretty and last MUCH longer!


In the other corner of the box went a large canning jar full of my daughter's sidewalk chalk.  It has to be close at hand at all times.  You never know when inspiration may hit and "Craftin' Afton" will be on  the pavement and creating a masterpiece!!


I debated a long time about using white votives or these pink  ones.  The white would have blended in more but I decided these pink ones reflected the colour of all of the flowers in the hanging baskets that flank the front of the porch.  


TA-DA!


I am so pleased with how this turned out.  Even the electrician that came to work on our house the other day commented on how lovely it looked.  Hubby has spent a ton of time out here reading and playing his guitar.  I guess it was well worth the time and effort!

It's the perfect place for  a icy chai latte and my favourite magazine.  In fact I think I'll head out there now...... 



17 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! I love the colors of the pillows and daisies are my favorite flowers. Very inviting! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is So perfect! Don't you just Love easy quick AMAZING transformations! I love the fabric and the pops of color! Super cute Porch!! I would be out there all the time too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely summer space, Bronwyn! The napkins on the chairs are such a cute touch. I've never seen that done before! How lucky you are to be able to just whip up some pillows when the need hits. Enjoy your lattes on the made over porch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place to sit and watch the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I adore your color scheme! So pretty and inviting. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Meet Me Monday. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the party. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Bronwyn! It looks so beautiful! I love how you used things that you already had and just 'whipped' up some pillows! I certainly would be out there with a drink and a magazine too! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch looks like a happy place now! I adore that divided box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your colors are so inviting and summery! I found you over at 52 Mantels and am now following you. Have a great weekend!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Absolutely adorable and a great way to spend the summer evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love the colors! Looks so happy and cheery now :) Have a wonderful weekend sippin' on your Chai Latte (yum)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bronwyn, you did an amazing job creating a relaxing, fresh space! Love the colors girl, have a fabulous week!

    Hugs, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet! And I love that paisley pattern:)

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog (GFC).

    The Quiet Mom blogging @ Spaghetti with Meatballs Recipe

    Also, don't miss our Custom Blog or Social Network Button Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those colors. Your porch redo turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made some pillows with taHe same fabric awhile ago. Love it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!